Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Did they buy tickets?

Southwest Airlines is experimenting with assigned seating to see if they can turn their planes around as fast as they normally do. Today was the first day of the experiment and results were mixed. Some people didn't like it. We fly Southwest all the time and will continue to do so regardless of how they board as long as they are so cheap. Of course, I would be upset if they did not accomodate us and let us sit together as the article says happened to some passenger. I'm sure that kink will get worked out by the end of the day.

But what caught my attention was the article said there were about two dozen reporters and photographers were at the gating chronicling the event. Am I the only one bothered by this? I'm not bothered if they had to buy tickets. But there should not be a media exception to who gets back into the gate area at an airport. If I can't greet my family at the gate when they arrive on a flight, some photographer should not be allowed back just because an airline is considering a change to its business model. This probably seems like a strange thing to worry about, but what can I say, I'm picky and principled.

No comments: