Monday, March 24, 2008

Weekend Update

Had a pretty busy weekend.

On Friday night, we had a nice discussion with two other couples over dinner in our Young Marrieds ministry. We wrapped up our discussion of Love Life for Every Married Couple. The book was good and I think the group got a lot of good things out of the book, I am ready to move on. We will be studying Dr. Gary Chapman's Five Love Languages next. I think this is going to be a good study. I have flipped through the book and feel like it will be an easy read with lots of practical information. I hope it will help us grow this ministry.

On Saturday night, I went with a good friend to a Florida Panther hockey game. The Panthers won an entertaining game which was made more so by our seats. My friend used his firm's tickets which were four rows behind the visitor's bench. It was cool watching the shift changes and action closely. However, it was also frustrating to watch Tomas Vokoun have such a good game. I have a feeling Nashville would be in a much better position for the playoffs had they not traded Vokoun.

On Sunday afternoon, I watched Miami lose a heartbreaker to Texas. On the one hand, it was great for them to get that far since they were predicted to finish last in the ACC this year. On the other hand, it was frustrating to watch them come so close to winning and blowing it because they did not play well in the first half of the game. Hopefully, they will build some momentum going into next year. I just hope Frank Haith sticks around to keep building this program.

Another highlight of the weekend was getting to experience the joys of homeownership. Right before I left the house on Saturday, I was cleaning some dishes and put some food down the garbage disposal. I tried to turn the disposal on and it made a humming noise, but the blades were not spinning. After a couple of tries, nothing happened and I had a sink full of nasty water with food floating in it. Julie called Roto Rooter and they came out Saturday afternoon. After taking it apart, the plumber pronounced the disposal dead. While he went to the truck, Julie looked up disposals on her iPhone...turns out they have a life expenctancy of about 15 years. Our house was built in 1994. My guess is the disposal was original and it's time came. The only problem was we had no indication before Saturday night. Anyway, we now have an InSinkErator. Hopefully it will last longer than we are in the house.

This was our first real issue as homeowners. Prior to buying the new house, Julie was lamenting that we would not have a maintenance staff anymore. And while it sucked waiting for Roto Rooter to show up and I didn't like writing that check, I think the house is still is still worth it...and we have crossed our first homeownership speedbump. I guess we feel just a little more grown up today.

No comments: