Thursday, March 20, 2008

Biding Time

We had a baby shower this past weekend and I am just overwhelmed by the generosity people at church and families at school showed toward us. We now have many clothes, blankets, toys and miscellaneous other stuff for this baby. It's a good thing he won't have to go around naked. He also has a car seat now, so I guess we'll actually get to bring him home from the hospital. And once we buy a mattress, the kid will have a place to sleep.

As far as I'm concerned, we're ready to have the baby. Sure, there are plenty of things to be done around the house, but there is really nothing that HAS to be done before he arrives.

Prior to the shower on Saturday, we went to a newborn parenting class which wrapped up the series of classes we've been taking to try and calm our nerves before the bundle of joy arrives. We practiced diapering and swaddling a doll which strikes me as pointless because the doll was silent and was not wiggling. We watched videos. We talked about babies. It was realy informational.

After we got home Saturday night and surveyed all the wonderful gifts, a feeling of calm and serenity came over me. It occurred to me that we are ready. There are no more classes to attend. The baby shower is now behind us. Julie's mom was here for the shower and went home Sunday night. We won't see any of our family again until the baby is here. There is nothing left between us and the arrival of this child. All that is left is for us to hunker down and wait. It could be a few days, it could be a few weeks. Only God knows.

Wait and enjoy these last few days of pregnancy. Of course, I use the term enjoy loosely. I think Julie has enjoyed being pregnant to the extent that anyone can enjoy it, but she probably wouldn't tell you that right now. But after the baby is here, I think it is something she will look back upon and and cherish.

I know I am going to try to soak it up before it's over. We'll probably have another child, but I'm sure it's nothing like the first time you experience it. I will never forget the first time Julie pulled my hand over to her stomach and I could feel my son moving. I will never forget the first time we sat in that Doctor's office and I heard his little heartbeat. I only have a short time before I can actually hold my little boy in my arms and that is going to be a wonderful day. But I want to savor these remaining moments where he is moving around inside of Julie. I am going to savor her joy as she watches him move. The process of bringing a new life into this world is so amazing and so special. This is a time I will never forget.

No comments: