Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Big News

Contrary to the fecetious comment attached to this old post, plenty has happened to me since September. However, one event has dominated my time since and will continue to dominate my time, so I guess and official announcement is in order and better late than never.

When I first decided to have my own blog, I noted that my friends Mark and Adam started their blogs when they were about to have kids. Back then, I specifically pointed out that the beginning of my blog had nothing to do with a child and would not have anything to do with a child for quite some time. However,I did post a comment to Mark's first post in which I noted that Julie and I were looking forward to "starting our own blog."

Well, not that anyone who actually reads this doesn't know, but Julie and I are expecting our first child in April. We are very excited and apprehensive. I guess this means we'll have to finally get a digital camera (go back and read my first post regarding my delayed use of technology...my brother can't get over the fact that I don't have internet access at home right now) because it is obviously obligatory to post various pictures of the mini-me on the blog. So, I can promise there will be pictures. I also have a special project in mind that I will reveal at a later date. Until, then, I'll write about the impending birth from time to time as it gets closer.

Speaking of closer, I can't believe how close it is already. When Julie told me on our anniversary that we were going to have a baby, 9 months seemed like such a long time. Well, it has been almost seven, Julie is getting big, and the day fast approaches. And we still have much to do to get the house ready and I don't know how we are ever going to have the time since we don't have many Saturdays available.

Three of the four Saturdays in February, plus one in March, we are spending a big chunk of the day at the hospital where the baby is going to be born for various classes. This past Saturday, we went to our first childbirth preparation class. We learned some breathing exercises and relaxation techniques and watched a few videos. I came away realizing how unprepared I am for the delivery. I'm not saying I'm completely ignorant of the difficulty of childbirth and I'm not comparing what I have to do to Julie's struggles, but I did not realize how much work its going to be. Just like many other subjects, TV births paint a different picture from reality. On TV, it's chaotic and it does not last that long and the pushing is the hard part. Well, it was obvious that it is a long, drawn out process and not that chaotic. Other than the occasional check up by the nurse, it's really just going to be me trying to help Julie get through each contraction and help her in any way I can.

The class was really eye opening. I think it is going to be a miraculous event, I just hope I can hold up my end of the bargain and be a good supporter during the process.

No comments: