Thursday, January 26, 2012

Project 52 Update #1

So, it's Wednesday.  Getting in the habit of posting on a schedule will be difficult, but part of this process is developing new habits, so it will be good for me to work on this.

I didn't do much on the list this week.  My big accomplishment on the list was to reorganize the list to help me manage the goals better.  I broke my goals down into three categories:  One Time Events, Events Requiring Time and Planning, and On-Going Periodic Events. 

The first category is pretty self-explanatory.  These are projects that I can decide on a Friday evening that I want to work on them and complete it by the end of the weekend.  I was mainly motivated to reorganize the list by these projects.  I didn't want half the year roll by and then have to break my neck over the last few months to get a lot of projects done.  Based on my classification, I have 22 goals that fall in this category.  This means I need to do one of these projects approximately every two weeks.

The second category is for projects that will require some advance planning or a serious time commitment.  These are generally projects that do not lend themselves to completion on one day or weekend.  These projects will require a little planning, a little research and diligence in knocking out little pieces and completing the projects in small pieces.  I need to approach these projects the same way you approach eating an elephant:  one bite at a time.  In a nice bit of symmetry, there are also 22 projects in this category.

The final category is focused on projects where I've committed myself to doing something daily, weekly, or monthly.  These projects are generally about habit formation.  I may not do a particular thing everyday, but If I have formed the habits by the end of the year, then I will consider myself successful and cross them off the list at the end of the year.  Basic math will tell you there are 8 projects in this list.

All in all, I think this is a good breakdown.  I have a number of habits I want to develop.  I have a number or projects that need to be done to improve or simplify my life.  And I have a number of projects that are mostly just about enjoying life and having new experiences.

I have had a good response to my list of projects.  I have received some encouraging words and I've already received some offers from people to help me with a few of the projects.  So I think this whole thing has gotten off to a good start.

Hopefully, I will have some items to cross off the list by next week.








3 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

This is a great post, Brian. If it's all right with you, I'd like to link to it on Monday.

Jen said...

I must say, that's a pretty good idea to break it down like that. I think I need to take a look over my list now and see what I need to break down.

Glad you posted, even if it Wednesday instead of Monday!

Brian said...

Karen, of course you may. Feel free.

Thanks Jennee. Better late than never, right?