Monday, January 28, 2008

You can come out now, Emma.

We just concluded a woderful visit with our good friends, the Metzes. Adam, Mary Beth, Clark and Clementine decided to spend their vacation with us and spent the last week at our house. Clark just turned three and Clementine is 8 months old. Needless to say, it turned our world upside down for a few days. But we loved it.

Unfortunately, our cat Emma was not so thrilled with the situation. She's not used to having a giggling blur whiz by her reaching out to pet her as he goes by. She's also not used to having another creature about the same size as her stalking her across the floor. In the past, she has done very well with our guests and generally ignores them. So I came home last Tuesday night and found her curled up in one of her normal spots. I assumed that she had already adjusted to our guests.

After dinner, I walked over to her to scratch her head a little. Clark walked up behind me to say that he wanted to pet her. I thought it would be OK. Boy, was I wrong. He touched her near her tail a couple of times and suddenly her tail puffed up and she was hissing at him. Later on, I held her while I showed Clark how to let her smell him before he pet her. She reluctantly allowed him to pet her, but it did not last long. She eventually hissed at him again and I have the scratch marks on my hand to show how eager she was to remove herself from the situation.

Finally, one evening, as Clark was running around having a good time, he gave Emma a drive by love tap as he went by. This sent her over the edge as she hissed, faced him and arched her back. I knew that was it and after I corraled her, I locked her up in our bedroom. So the poor thing spent most of the week cooped up when the kids were around.

She was also confused by how often her food moved around. Since there was an 8-month old crusing around, we did not think it was a good idea to have her water and food on the floor, so those things also spent their time up on a counter while the kids were out and about.

As Clark said about Emma this week "She not very nice." But the kid is so sweet, he never really got scared of her. He was always asking "Where Emma?" or "Where dat".

Well, the crew left this morning for a few days down in the Keys before heading back to the frigid North. I'm sure Emma is glad to have her house and her routine back. But Julie and I are a little sad today. We enjoyed our time with our friends and the opportunity to show them around our hometown. They've only been gone a few hours, but we miss them already and can't wait for their next visit.

No comments: