Saturday, May 12, 2007

Life in South Florida

It's spring time and the smell of smoke is in the air. Yes, head out the door, take a big breath and smell the acrid smell of smoke. As you can see in this article, South Florida has been covered in a blank of smoke since early in the week.
To get an idea of what it has been like, check out this picture:


There are fires all over the state as well as a really big one up in south Georgia near the Florida border. To make matters worse, the winds are steering the smoke from all over the state in the direction of Miami. But there is something about the current weather pattern that makes it just stall and hang out over miami.

It was actually kind of cool when it rolled in early in the week. From my office, I cold see it on the horizon. It looked like a really low cloud, like the really heavy thunderstorms we get in the summer. What was strange was the odd orange color. I wasn's sure if it was smog or clouds being tinted by the sunlight since it was late in the afternoon. Before I left work, my building was in the cloud. Once I got outside and got a whiff of the smoke, it wasn't cool anymore.

I'm tired of it and I hope it goes away soon. The rainy season is supposed to start mid-May, so hopefully we'll start getting some storms to put out the fires as well as some steering currents that will blow the smoke out of here.

No comments: