Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tidbits

Just a couple of observations from this past weekend:

1. How hard is it to turn of a cell phone? Julie and I went to a move this past Friday (we saw Sandra Bullock's new movie Premonition...I was very disappointed in the movie...I love Sandra Bullock and the movie looked really cool...I was extremely disappointed by the end of the movie...on the other hand, we some great trailers for new movies, including a trailer for Vacancy) Before the movie, there were three separate "ads" reminding people to silence their cell phones. I chuckled to myself and wondered if that was really necessary or if people really are that stupid. I found out it's because people really are that stupid. Of course, someone's cell phone went off during the movie. How hard is it to check your phone when someone "reminds" you to turn it off. I have a cell phone and I feel like I can't go anywhere without it, but I also think cell phones are one of the worst inventions ever!

2. Watched the apprentice on Sunday night. Prior to the boardroom, they showed the girl who eventually got fired reading her bible. In her confessional shot, she talked about strengthening herself by reading scripture and, "God willing" should would not get fired. When they showed her reading her bible, in the background, you could see her chief rival reading one of Donald Trump's books. Then they did a confessional with her saying Mona should not be reading the bible, Trump makes the decision, not God, etc. I looked at Julie and wondered if that was necessary. Sure enough, Mona (bible reader) got fired that night. I think the editors of the show were very intentional to put that in as a slap to Christianity and people of faith. Perhaps Mona has the faith to realize God may have something different and far better for her than being the next Apprentice. Maybe Mona has the faith to realize Trump is extremely greedy and, at least on the show, makes it sound like money and wealth are the ultimate measure of a worthy life. Heck, the show's theme song is the O'Jay's "For the Love of Money." This was a blatant episode of christianity mocking which I find unfortunate. I will probably keep watching the show, but it just reinforces the things I think about Donald Trump.

No comments: