Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Silence is Broken

It's been awhile since I posted. Nearly two months. What can I say? My life has been pretty dull since I took the bar exam. I can proudly report that I passed. It is an accomplishment that makes me very proud. However, I am still not a licensed attorney because the state of Florida is still looking for my skeletons. Hopefully they won't find any. I hope to be an actual licensed attorney soon. I'll post when it happens.

I have spent the last few months looking for a job. I've had leads from time to time, some that I was really confident in. Up to this point, none of them have panned out. It is pretty discouraging to keep getting rejection letters. I could probably wallpaper a room with all the rejection letters I've received since law school started.

My in-laws recently visited Miami. While they were here, we drove through a park across the street from our apartment complex on a Saturday afternoon. There were no less than four birthday parties going on. Each party had rented its own inflatable bounce house for the kids. I have seen those things around town before in people's back yards.

Then today, I saw the party to end all birthday parties in the small park next to the public library. When I was driving up, I saw the beginnings of the directions...ballons, grills, etc. A pickup truck was pulling a miniature ferris wheel that is about 15-20 feet tall and has five cars on it. I just looked out the window and there is more. There is the requisite bounce house. There is a table full of gifts. There is a "toy" train with four cars pulling kids around the park. There is some sort of homemade Disney princess castle. And there is at least 100 people out there.

I have decided that if I don't find a legal job soon, I am going into the birthday party entertainment business. There is obviously a market for it. "Keeping up with the Jonses" extends beyond cars, clothes and houses. It apparently also applies to kids' birthday parties. With that kind of mindset, the market here is tremendous. Anyone want to invest in a miniature carnival with me?

No comments: