Monday, August 21, 2006

Politics as Unusual

Politics never cease to amuse me. As most people probably know, we are coming up on another election season in America. In Florida, Jeb Bush is term limited and is not running for Governor again. This has led to a spirited primary for both parties which will conclude in a couple of weeks. The Republican primary is pretty much decided already. Charlie Crist (notice the picture of Jeb Bush at the very top of the page...he's running as the "I'll continue Jeb's legacy" candidate) is probably going to beat Tom Gallagher (also notice the picture of Jeb Bush ast the top of the page...Republicans in Florida LOVE Jeb.). This is the fourth time Gallagher has run for Governor. I wonder if he will ever give up?

The closer race is in the Democratic primary. U.S. Rep. Jim Davis is running against State Senator Rod Smith (not the football player). Since the race is close, they are campaigning hard and running LOTS of commercials. The latest commercials each of them are running strike me as ironic and amusing (even though both commercials are pretty anti-Republican). Neither commercial really attacks the other candidate, rather each attacks a "Republican" policy. The first commercial I saw was Smith's (the state senator) and was about stem cell research. Then today, I saw a commercial from Davis (the U.S. Rep.) about a Florida hurricane insurance bill. The state guy is running an ad about a federal issue and the federal guy is running an ad about a state issue. I may be the only one, but I find that humorous.

No comments: