Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Project 52 Update #3--Helping Hand

Is it really already Tuesday?  I meant to post on Monday, but fell asleep.

This is the first update where I get to announce that I crossed an item off my list.  Two actually.  The reality is that both items kind of fell into my lap.

The first item to be crossed off the list this year was #26--buy a lawnmower.  Shortly after posting my list of goals, a friend texted me to let me know that he had an extra lawnmower he would give me.  I told him I wanted it and was able to pick it up on Saturday.  Now I just need to put it to use this weekend.  So this item is now off the list, but not really by any effort of mine.  Of course, now I have an opportunity to work on #45, writing thank you notes.

The other item to be crossed off my list was #39--Fix the turn signal on my car.  A few weeks ago, the battery in my car went bad and needed to be replaced.  I needed to look at the manual for the car to get some information about the battery, so I got it out of the glove compartment.  When I put the book back in the glove compartment, I noticed a package I hadn’t seen before.  I pulled it out and it was a package with a small light bulb in it.  One bulb was missing.  I instantly guessed it was for the turn signal.  The prior owner must have had to replace a bulb and left the extra in the car.  On Sunday, I got the manual back out and figured out how to change the bulb and the signal now works.  So, If I get a traffic ticket any time soon, at least it won’t be for malfunctioning lights.

So I’m glad to say that I’ve now crossed two items off my list.  I’ve also learned another lesson this week.  In reaching our goals, it is good to have a helping hand and the support of friends.  These items were easily crossed off my list due to the actions of friends.  This is true for so many goals in life.  We may be able to accomplish them on our own, but it sure will be easier with someone’s help.

Even where our pride might dictate otherwise, we should always be on the lookout for and willing to accept the help of those who care for us.

2 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

And that is exactly the point of Project 52. It's all about helping each other.

Glad you got that light fixed!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the prior owner of your car sounds like a thoughtful, intelligent guy!!!!